Ja’Da (consisting of Jamal Ryback and Daniel da Costa) is the latest group to emerge from the very creative Ayla Crew. Last year they released the track “G5″ through Ametist Blog. They have been collaboration for three years, but this was the first time I ever heard a track from them. We decided to do an interview to get some more info about them.
What got you interested in rap?
- We’ve been interested in music since we were kids, Hip-hop became a part of our lives so it felt right to start rapping.
You’ve been collaboration for three years, did you rap before you formed Ja’Da?
- Yes, Jamal was rapping with the group UKN (now Mohammed Ali) and Daniel was part of the group Panetoz. We both lived in the same suburb so we decided joined forces and form Ja’Da.
Maybe I’m just missed it, but before “G5” I had never heard any track from you, why have you waited for so long to release anything?
- We felt that we didn’t want to release anything that didn’t meet our standards so we decided to work creatively and release our music when it felt right.
When reading your blog there’s very much humor in your posts, will that be reflected in your songs?
- Yes, partly. There will be humor on the album, which we’re recording right now, but it will be on a more serious level. Since we’re recording the album right now the blog hasn’t been updated in a while but it will soon be up and running again.
How will you release your album? Will it be released for free like the other records from Ayla?
- Yes, it will be released for free. Internet is the way to go!
What do you think of the status of the Swedish hip-hop scene?
- It’s been getting better these last years and we expect to top it with our upcoming album.
What artist are you currently listening to right now?
- Daniel is listening to Ayla and everything else I think sound good, Jamal is currently listening to Lupe Fiasco’s new mixtape.
What are you currently working on?
- The album, the album, the album and then the next album!
For more information visit their blog!